The A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications, one of the oldest museums of science and technology in the world, is located in the historic centre of St.-Petersburg, near Isaac Square.
On 11th September 1872, the head of the Telegraph Department of Russia, Carl Carlovich Luders substantiated the foundation of this museum:
“…For the purpose of familiarisation of all the telegraph workers and other interested persons with all innovations and improvements in the field of telegraphy, it is proposed to organise a permanent museum in Saint-Petersburg, based on objects presented on the Moscow Polytechnic Exhibition…”
Thus the beginnings of the Museum collections were laid. Nowadays these archives and collections contain well over 8 million items, they consist of authentic documents and objects relating to the history of post, telegraph and telephone, radio and broadcasting, space communication and all modern means of telecommunication. The Museum cares for 15 000 apparatuses and technical pieces, 50 000 archival documents, vast collections of “marks of postal payment”, including the eight-million items Russian National Collection of Philately, specialised research library with 50 000 books and periodicals.
Since 1945 the Museum bears the name of an outstanding Russian scientist and inventor professor Aleksandr Stepanovich Popov, who first in the world demonstrated the transmission of radio signals over distance, and thereby has ushered in an epoch of radio communication.
The Central Museum of Communications is a leading in its field in Russian Federation and as such provides consulting supervision for other museums of the telecommunication industry.
The new museum’s exposition introduce not only valuable objects relating to the history of the development of postal service, telegraphy, telephony, radio, television, satellite and space communication, but also provides for visitors a good opportunity to familiarise themselves with the new achievements of Russian and foreign firms and companies working in telecommunication industry that experiences nowadays so rapid a development.
The Museum’s revival in the year of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg became real due to the initiative and continuous support of the Russian Federation Ministry of Communications and Information, the Russian Fund for the History of Communications, “OAO Svyazinvest”, and good will of sponsors.
Here you can find general information about museum.
Address of museum: 7 Pochtamtskaya ul., Saint-Petersburg, 190000.